This was the first church built at Saint-Bernard, blessed in 1853 by Monseigneur Walsh, Archbishop of Halifax. This church served the parish until the blessing of the new church in 1942, at which point the old church was deconsecrated and subsequently used as a community centre for a number of years (until about 1960). A commemorative monument and the cemetery remains.
Photo Source: Old Photos of Clare
The second and current church at Saint-Bernard took thirty years to build (1912 to 1942).